Financial Aid & Scholarships Return to Title IV Repayments and Refunds

< Back to Receiving Financial Aid

Return to Title IV Refunds

The federal government mandates that if you withdraw either officially or unofficially from all of your classes you may only keep the financial aid you have "earned" up to the time of withdrawal. If you drop your classes before they are 60% completed, you may be required to repay a portion of your federal aid. If Title IV funds were disbursed in excess of the earned amount they must be returned by Barton and/or by you to the federal government. This situation could result in you owing federal aid funds to Barton, to the government, or to both. *This does not apply to you if you have dropped some of your classes but remained enrolled in others, or have successfully completed at least one class.

When you withdraw from classes 100%, Barton must determine the actual amount of federal aid that you earned while you attended your classes. To determine the amount of aid you have earned up to the time of withdrawal, Barton will divide the number of calendar days you attended classes by the total number of calendar days in your program of study (less any scheduled breaks of 5 days or more). The resulting percentage is then multiplied by the total federal funds that were disbursed to you for the semester. This calculation determines the amount of aid you earned which you may keep (for example, if you attended 25% of the term, you have earned 25% of the aid disbursed). The unearned amount (total aid disbursed less the earned amount) must be returned to the federal government by Barton or by you. Barton will notify you if you are required to repay any of your federal funds.

Federal funds that may be affected by a 100% withdrawal are the Federal Pell grant, Federal student loans and Federal SEOG grant. Financial aid returned (by Barton and/or by you or by your parent) must be allocated in the following order:

  1. Federal Unsubsidized Student Loan
  2. Federal Subsidized Student Loan
  3. Federal PLUS (Parent) Loan
  4. Federal Pell Grant
  5. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

If you withdraw before your federal aid has been paid, you may be eligible for a post withdrawal disbursement. If that is the case, the Financial Aid Office will be notified of your withdrawal and will determine if you are subject to a PWD (Post Withdrawal Disbursement). The Business Office will issue a check to you if a credit balance results from a PWD.

Institutional RefundsĀ 

During the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters, you may drop classes and a 100% refund will be issued. After this point, when you drop a class, no refund will be issued. It is your responsibility to officially withdraw from classes. You may do this by contacting your adviser or the Enrollment Services Office at (620) 792-9215. Non-attendance does not constitute an official drop.

If you withdraw from classes and it is determined that you owe a refund of federal funds, Barton will contact you informing you of this situation. You will be responsible to repay any funds that are determined to be unearned. It is your responsibility to repay any funds determined to be unearned. If you owe a repayment to the Department of Education, it is Barton's responsibility to notify them of this. Barton will update your financial aid information with the repayment information and you will not be eligible to receive federal aid from another school until you have resolved this issue.